Monday, March 24, 2008

Who's FICA? And why's HE getting all my money!?

I don't plan on making it a habit to post blogs that purely complain about things, however, I just finished doing my taxes...and I don't think Rachel could have said it any better. I know I'm fortunate to be a somewhat successful professional in spite of not having completed my education, but it's frustrating to make just enough to get by, but not enough to get any tax breaks.

I think this will bother me less as my nephews get older. At least then I can rationalize that I'm paying for their education. Of course, because I don't have any kids of my own (and can't legally adopt) I'm S.O.L. as far as having a say in how I think they should be taught.

Or perhaps a better word, I heard recently, "indoctrinated", if you listen to Oklahoma politicians. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, take a moment to listen to some hate:

Oklahoma lawmaker says gays are worse than terrorists

At first I laughed, that an elected official who (I imagine) has received a college education would spout such garbage. But now I feel sad, that simply being educated is not enough to dispel these myths and lies. The only agenda I'm aware of is equality, and it's not a new ideal. It's just our turn to fight.

And while I could go on about this and several other issues that are close to my heart, I'll instead close this blog and leave you with a scripture that has become my mantra over the years since I came to accept who I was...

    Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you. - Matthew 5:44

2 comments:

About Us said...

Amen, Brother! I too, am continually amazed at the ignorance of others!

What a great scripture! I love you!

The Fantastic Four said...

We love you too, Mikey. =)